Wednesday, May 25, 2011

11 Day Mark


I am now less medicated, ready to write, and less likely to write gibberish to you all. Jen has kindly kept the updates flowing while we've been out of commission. The kindness pours in, yet again, in its various forms. We are filled with family and friends who have come together as our faithful "first responders."



Tomorrow we hit the 11 day marker and the "care pumps" come off my legs (helping with blood circulation) and we will continue to extend my range of motion through the CPM (continuous passive motion) device. We are icing like crazy and beginning basic PT exercises on my back. I am less sedated than before and feel altogether as though this is a different (more energized) recovery process. The intention of the CPM device is to help my range of motion increase and strengthen as I sit still for the next month. We did not have this option in my prior surgery and believe this has made a significant impact in my healing process. The device was on my leg three hours after my surgery ended last Monday.

We had a superb experience at Barnes Jewish Hospital, from the greeters to the anesthesiologists to the nursing staff and then of course, Dr. Clohisy and his first-rate team. We spent Sunday-Thursday night in St. Louis and made the return home sooner than we had planned. The Dr. was happy with my progress and believes I am only prone to more infection the longer I stay at the hospital. Dad and Nate created the best cushion possible for a very painful drive home. We have been home since late Thursday night monitoring pain, attempting to sleep, and learning how to get to the restroom and back with one semi-healed hip and another broken hip/pelvis. I am tired and experiencing different pains each day, but I'm hopeful this surgery will be successful this time around. Time will tell.



Your prayers, your notes of encouragement, bright spring flowers, and loving meals have served us accurately and cared for us in this extended time of need. Bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Been thinking of you. Sounds like you've been both determined (keeping up the exercises) and creative (finding a way to the bathroom) in your recovery. And you either have the peace that passeth understanding in that first picture or you're getting some painkillers :) Just kidding, but you do look more lovely than anyone has a right to in a hospital gown.
    Much Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete