Friday, October 1, 2010

Progress

Mom took me on Wednesday to OrthoIndy for my 5 week check-up.

Dr. Scheid pulled up my latest x-ray and was happy to see that my hip "took" and it is healing in such a way that he is content. The first thing we noticed were 5 LONG SCREWS in my pelvis holding it all together. I've known there are screws in my body but now I see them, and it brings another level of reality. The three cuts in bone Dr. Scheid made are still growing back together. It was truly worth celebrating when we saw the comparison between my right and left (operated) hip. The left hip now (minus the screws and breaks0 looks normal...ball fitting into socket and all. Incredible! God has gifted Dr. Scheid with such precision and knowledge.

I can now bear 25 lbs of weight on my left foot, which is really helpful in my crutching endeavors. You basically figure this weight by putting your foot on a scale and seeing what 25 lbs. feels like.

Due to the bone still growing/healing, I can't start PT for another month, but I can continue on the bike as well as some exercises to build strength.

Altogether, we were grateful for the news. I did ask Dr. Scheid for our own copy of the x-ray. Now we can frame it and put it in our front room :)

We continue onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment