Monday, September 27, 2010

5 Weeks In...

A friend just reminded me that I haven't updated in almost a week.

I will have more of a formal medical update on Wednesday (following my appointment with Dr. Scheid), but for now, I want to introduce you to my new mode of transportation: Millienial Crutches

These have come highly recommended by top athletes and a few hip chicks. I waited all week on that UPS man to deliver them...and they came on Thursday. It took some time to get used to walking with them after using a walker for over a month. The shock absorbers are especially helpful as it bears some weight for me.

We celebrated a friends birthday yesterday. It was a lovely day with friends but it took the wind out of me to be up on the crutches for most of the day. Both my left hip and my right hip were in pain. I slept deeply last night and the swelling has gone back down. Speaking of sleep, I have had some fitful nights of sleep as I've been weaning off of the pain meds. I'm now almost totally on Tylenol (5 weeks in...I should have tried it a few weeks ago!) and this mostly does the trick. The Norco and Ultram are tucked away for now, for emergency use only. This feels like yet another milestone.

I'm also beginning to tap back into work remotely. I feel tired most of the day still so I do what I can and sleep when I need to. I look forward to a full and hopefully energized return to Outreach, Inc. (www.outreachindiana.org) in the next few weeks.

I continue on the recumbent bike a few times a week at the YMCA. This is my sanity these days (a shout out to my taxi drivers: Patrick, Matt, and Nate). I have avoided more swimming as it simply feels like too much energy to put on a bathing suit, get in and out of the pool, dry off, etc. I'm thankful to Dad and Deb for the use of their outdoor pool during this recovery period--seeing as though it's 49 degrees outside right now, I'm thinking those summer days are over!

Thank you, Jesus, that we have made it to 5 weeks!

And just for fun, here's a picture of my hot male nurse standing on the mountainside of the Napali coast on our (pre-surgery) trip to Kauai this summer:

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on hitting the 5 week mark! I am anxious to hear how you continue to like your crutches!

    ReplyDelete