Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 3 Update

August 26, 2010

Day three post-operation. Nate and I slept better last night than we have the past few nights. I have almost hourly visits by our RN who is checking vitals, renewing ice packs, and changing over my fluid bags.

I thought I might have the energy to write but even I as sit here the nausea kicks in frequently and large doses of pain erupt. This will likely be a brief posting.

In short, Dr. Scheid confidently shared that the surgery went as well as he could hope it to go. Thank you, God. Dr. did notice some cartilage once he made his way in…he was glad for the timing in this way. Had we waiting much longer to do the surgery the cartilage could have grown into osteo-arthritis, forcing a hip replacement and disallowing my candidacy.

Today I am dealing with large doses of nausea. I just finished PT for the day and I cried (and when I say “cry” I mean weeping and wailing) the entire time. It’s true what they say that every day begins to feel slightly better. Today I celebrate the fact that I could somehow stand up onto the walker. "One day at a time" is our mantra!

For my fellow hipsters who will wonder what sort of symptoms and difficulties I had during this first week, here’s a short blurb:
• Extreme nausea (see above)
• Intense levels of swelling throughout my entire body
• The catheter isn’t so bed (in fact, it has been a saving grace), but one can never prepare themselves for a first catheter experience.
• When the nurses are cleaning/bathing you, the most ungodly screams came from my mouth as the pain of moving to one side or another was simply too much to handle.
• If you have tendencies towards motion sickness, you may want to request a patch behind your ear. This, along with several anti-nausea pills, have surprisingly done their job. Thank you, Lord!
• As you struggle with your body adjustments, know that it will also be an adjustment to have your family, friends, nurses, strangers all taking care of you. Receive, receive…you have offered it to others in the past, I trust, and you will offer it all the more compassionately after this healing process is over.
• Drink LOTS of water once you get out of surgery. Your body will be screaming at you to replenish liquids.
• Don’t cut corners with regard to PT. Let them stretch you and help with incremental next steps. Your PT experience, I believe, will be crucial for the long-term recovery process.
• Lastly, this surgery is as intense and demanding as all fellow hipsters have said it is. I’ve never felt such pain in my life; however, we do believe, even just a few days into this, that this was the right decision. You will suffer and struggle…

I wanted to put a shout-out to all of the care-takers who have gone over and beyond this week: Dr. Scheid, Dr .Maier, Denise (Dr. Scheid’s nurse), all the nurses, C.N.A.’s and PT folks here at Methodist. I have been pleasantly surprised to their attunement to Nate and I during this time.

Thanks to my family and friends (you know who you are) for walking with us this week. Booram’s, thank you for waking early on Tuesday morning, driving down to Methodist (which is SO not close to home for them), and praying over Nate and I as we prepared for surgery . You are you truly spiritual mother and fathers to us. Beth read the scripture (see below) that God had laid on her heart the day before. I have been meditating on this passage as I lay in bed.

And to be lovely husband—who will receive many “jewels in his crown” upon entering heaven  You have, are, and will serve me wholeheartedly during this process—you know the gratefulness I have in my heart for you.

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired , and young men and women stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.

They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.

Isaiah 40: 28-31

4 comments:

  1. Megan, I cannot fathom the pain you are experiencing, wow. Just reading the description made me squirm. I am inspired by your hope and belief in our healing Lord. And I've really appreciated reading all about the intricacies of your dysplasia and the process of fixing it. It helps me to know what's going on, how to pray, etc. We love the both of you dearly. And you are going to like your new bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, beautiful Megan! Rest up and know the prayers continue....way out here in the prairie land of Kansas!
    xoxo, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been praying for you friend. I hope your recovery is swift and that you are as comfortable as possible. Don't push yourself to hard Megan.
    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    Tim and I are as fully with you as we can be without screaming alongside you during pt - but let us know and we can come down and do that, too! Love and many many prayers.
    K + T

    ReplyDelete