Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 7

Finally, FINALLY the nausea has held off long enough to sit and type for a few moments. To be sure, the last two days have been the hardest. The catheter came out on Friday which naturally required that I (we) begin to find out way to the restroom--no small or painless matter. The (lovely) nurses took me off of morphine on Friday as well. Now I am all for weaning off of drug dependence, but this was a tough one. Saturday, after a very effective but difficult PT session, we were officially discharged from Methodist. Dad and Nate took on the difficult task of creating the exact right position for me to fit into the car comfortably on the way home. (side bar: dad put the entire box of flowers near his car while he was loading me up and someone stole some of them out of there--not cool!)

Our dear friends brought us tortellini soup on Saturday evening and sat with me as Nate filled the long list of prescriptions(and mucho $) that I will need for the coming weeks. We were so glad to be home and yet we knew what support we would be leaving behind at the hospital. Saturday night and all day Sunday were very difficult days--I mostly feel like sleeping all the time but when I am awake I feel intense pain in my incision and nausea. We were advised to go to the ER at 3am this morning to relieve some of the nausea. We came home soon after and my new nurses (mom and Nate) have helped relieve some of this pain today. Thank you, Jesus.

Even as I write this, though, I feel such fatigue. As I sign out I look around my living room (my makeshift bedroom for now) and am filled with hope in the form of fresh flowers EVERYWHERE, care packages in the mail, notes of solidarity and encouragement arriving in the mail and by hand, and the smell of fresh rosemary as mom creates

I have my first post-op check-up with Dr. Scheid on Wednesday. We'll see how he thinks I'm doing thus far. And, as soon as I feel up to it, I'll post a pic of the new and revised hip.

Happy 35th birthday to my love.



No comments:

Post a Comment