Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 4 Post-Op

Well, Dad is sitting next to me and he jokingly shared that my last blog was introduced to be a short blurb which then turned into several paragraphs. Guaranteed to be a bit more brief this time around!

Nate slept at home last night as there is no way for him to get up and work today without a good nights sleep. I am awakened almost every 30 minutes...this sort of sleeping schedule doesn't do an automotive technician a whole lot of help the next day! Nate, my mom, and our friend Becky spent some time with me last night amidst my pain increasing. Last night was the worst so far. We could not find the right dosage of pain killer and anti-nausea and anti-itch meds. The woman in the room next to me moaned and screamed the entire night--I prayed for her and felt solidarity as I know I'm just one step away from that response. Dad is here all day with me and Sally stayed with me for the day yesterday. I've also had some sweet time with some other dear friends who have visited, prayed, and read to me.

If you could see my room, you would see a redeemed post-surgery hospital room filled with hydrangeas, encouraging words/cards, 'get well soon' balloons, orchids, cala lillies and a fresh display of wild flowers from Julie's garden. I've been completing a few Sodoku's between sleep time and drug time. I hope to start to read next week once the nausea leaves my system.

The chaplain first visited yesterday, held my hand and sang beautiful hymns over me. What beauty!

Nausea has been horrible today, the same day they are weaning me off of morphine (I will have other drugs, of course, for when I go home). They also took out the catheter this morning, forcing me to make the long trip, via walker, to the restroom. This has truly tested me and no doubt has tested the patience of the PT's!

I'm drugged up pretty well right now and fairly proud of myself for taking those few excruciating steps to the restroom.

They hope to send me home tomorrow...and I'm ready to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment