Sunday, June 26, 2011

6 weeks of healing

Tomorrow marks 6 week post surgery. I am learning to walk again--I walked (with a major limp) with no crutches or cane yesterday; I'll need to return to them now and then, but hopeful to leave them behind soon. I returned to work for 1/2 days in the office last week and my body collapsed in exhaustion and ache at 5pm each day. I am icing often in hopes of avoiding the bursitis I've accrued on my left hip.

Physical therapy starts on Tuesday morning; Dr. Maiers from Methodist Sports recommends a hip/athletically focused PT at Clarian.

I went and sat next to the POOL yesterday and revealed all my scars to the pooling world. Nate says they are not as obvious as I imagine to be; he's so sweet. They are of course gigantic and oh-so-obvious to me; they are battle wounds. We finally had a Saturday with decent weather, so we took full advantage and laid our bodies in the sun (SPF 50). I swam around and found the non-weight-bearing water felt very comfortable to my joints. I think I'll go back this week for some pool therapy.

We are forging on. Our last benevolence meal comes this week, I am trekking upstairs to sleep in my own bed again, and I can finally look out at the garden and envision the day is near when I can join Nate in the labor--just in time for our beans and heirloom tomatoes to pop!

We know there is a lot of work ahead. I look forward to the day I don't need pain pills or Tylenol to get through the day. We know that we won't feel in the clear until several months from now when I am pain free on the right hip and Clohisy gives me the thumbs up (we see him again in August).

Bless you for your care, for coming to read, for continuing to pray as we have healing ahead and yet another (hopefully just 1!) surgery still in front of us.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your recovery is going so well this time! I'm at 3 weeks and I don't think I'm even going to be able to think about walking without an aide at 6 weeks. I hope the rest of your recovery flies by without any issues!

    ReplyDelete