Thursday, June 16, 2011

Next Steps!

On our way to St. Louis on Monday night I told Nate that I didn't know if I can handle bad news or news of setbacks from my surgeon. After a month homebound, new pains, vulnerable, and sometimes irritable, I asked God for particularly good news for Tuesday's appointment.

We received great news.

Clohisy says my bone is growing back quickly and my repaired impingement looks to be a drastic difference from my left side. (side note: He is very methodical and orderly, in fact, so much so that my screws are in perfect order side by side) My scar looks really pretty this time around, less risen and more natural looking. It is healing well. My mobility is ahead of schedule and after a very conservative first month, he is lifting almost all of my restrictions, as I feel able. I can begin to drive (as I feel able), get on the bike at the gym and swim, begin physical therapy (gait training, but no big range of motion stuff quite yet) at Methodist Sports, and return to work 1/2 days next week. I can also bend over the 90 degree angle (I have cheated a few times, but now I can fully bend down when my coffee spills or to tie my shoe) as he has lifted this restriction as well.

He had me get out of the wheelchair and walk to him on my own. I felt quite unsteady but his exact words were "oh yeah, you are going to do very well, Megan." I will need assistance walking with crutches and then a cane for the next few weeks, working towards no assistance at all in a few weeks. Wow. In comparison to my left surgery, I am way ahead of schedule whereas last time it wasn't until the 3 month mark until I left my crutches behind. Right now, I'm at 4 1/2 weeks post surgery.

Tonight Nate and I will go for a test drive to feel out my muscle control. I will hopefully get a swim in this weekend as I so anticipate physical activity. I'm starting to move around a bit more in the house, slowly learning to walk again (with assistance).

On a personal note, I have hit significant low points these past few weeks. In some moments, I have wondered if good news would come again. And in my better moments, I remember Christ as my "good news" and I take heart.

We have waited on this tangible good news from my surgeon as well. We know the battle is still ahead; for now, we will draw a line in the sand, mark this day and thank God for his kindness.

Dear God,
Speak gently in my silence.
When the loud outer noises of my surroundings
and the loud inner noises of my fears
keep pulling me away from you,
help me to trust that you are still there
even when I am unable to hear you.
Give me ears to listen to your small, soft voice saying:
"Come to me, you who are overburdened,
and I will give you rest...
for I am gentle and humble of heart."
Let that loving voice be my guide.
Amen.

Henri Nouwen

3 comments:

  1. I'm all teary reading this. Such good news. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    I am so happy and excited for you that you received great and encouraging news!! It has been well deserved. I really like the prayer you posted. It made me cry reading it because it has been how I have felt for the last couple years, but couldn't find the words to express it. It is great that you are seeing amazing improvements compared to last time which is encouraging to hear. I am hoping that I good get news this week as well because as you put it, I don't know if I can handle anymore bad news or setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news indeed! Great to see you Sunday smiling and moving about :)

    ReplyDelete